POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea for pov ray for windows : Re: idea for pov ray for windows Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea for pov ray for windows
From: Rob Brown-Bayliss
Date: 12 Oct 2001 00:49:09
Message: <3bc67645@news.povray.org>
In article <3bc5a1e0@news.povray.org>, "nlewis"
<noa### [at] writemecom> wrote:

> Many times i find myself bored when waiting for a long render to finish,
> when i could actually be using povray for something else. I can open
> another instance of pov, perhaps, but wouldn't it be nice if pov for
> windows could render several images at once? perhaps this requires
> changes on the render engine level, but then also other platforms would
> benefit.

I havent done it yet, but my plan when I get into rendering anims for my
project (still doing the scene) is to create a Render client-server system
useing python.

The idea is still in it's infancy, but basically one would create a
scene, tell  the local client that you want to render it, and any other
machines on the network, who also run a client, will be notified and
start rendering a frame, when done they will ask the server for a new
frame.

As I say I havnt looked at it, but povray has comands for rendering
subframes of a scene, and I'll basically be re0wrting the pov file with
different subframe numbers (for one frame) for each machine, then running
povray.  On the serface it looks easy.

This way even my 486 modem will be able to contribute on large anims...

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss